Build a Sugar Cube Igloo.
You will need
- sugar cubes,
- a 7 inch diameter cardboard circle,
- 2 egg whites, and
- 3 cups of confectioners’ sugar.
- Lay a base of sugar cubes around the
cardboard circle. Leave space for
- Mix together 2 egg whites and 3 cups
confectioners’ sugar to make mortar.
- To add subsequent rows of cubes to
the igloo, apply the “mortar” to the
bottom side of the cubes you are
adding (not to those cubes already in
- Add a layer of cubes, one row at a
time. Decrease the circumference
gradually as you build up. Build one
row starting at the left of the entrance.
Build the next row starting at the right
of the entrance. Continue alternating
the starting side. Stagger the cubes
the way a builder lays bricks. (See
- Build five layers and then stop until
the sugar cubes have completely
dried. Then build five more layers,
and let those layers dry.
- Working on a flat surface, make the
roof. Make the arch for the door on
a flat surface, too. Allow them to
- When the roof and arch are dry, glue
them in place.
- When the igloo is completely dry,
you can sprinkle it with regular sugar,
if you like, to give it a snowy look.
This craft is from FUN FOODS by Wim Kros.